Could someone please inform me as to where the idea of courting went? Did it fade away along with good music and good TV sitcoms? I’m not even just talking about old-fashioned courting from decades ago--even during the ‘90s it seemed like more actual dating happened. You know, the space between where people meet and begin a full-blown relationship?? Yeah, what happened to that??
For the most part, it seems like no one goes on pre-relationship dates anymore. I don’t think it should be blamed on the economy—if I can find lots of cheap and free things to do in an expensive city like New York, then I have to believe there’s wallet-friendly things to do elsewhere. From what I’ve read, heard, and witnessed, it seems like many people—not just college students—meet and hook up relatively soon thereafter, and either it goes nowhere (either because they meant for it not to or because they rushed things) or somehow they magically end up in a committed relationship a few weeks later.
Now I realize that when you start spending a lot of time talking to and hanging out with someone you can start feeling as though you know the person very well, even if you’ve only been talking for a week or two. But if most of that time is spent sucking face (and doing Lord knows what else) and then you jump into a relationship, isn’t that a little hasty? The long walks in the park, movie nights out, and wining and dining no longer seem to happen anymore until AFTER two people are an established couple.
I don’t know about you all, but I need to really know someone before I commit to them. I’m not trying to be surprised a month later that he has a drinking problem or that he’s actually still in love with his ex girlfriend. Not to mention the fact that the whole dating stage, though it can be confusing and frustrating with thoughts like “I think he really likes me, but I’m not completely sure” and “Should I call her back? Nah I don’t want to seem desperate”, is ultimately kind of fun and, in my opinion, necessary! To jump right over it would be like not putting strawberries in a strawberry smoothie—an essential step is missing!
Is this the future of dating? Have you or anyone you know found true love this way? Am I missing something here--is skipping the casual dating part a completely great idea? Give me your thoughts!
The original blog post can be found at: http://www.datingish.com/723441639/hook-ups-to-lock-downs--is-pre-relationship-dating%E2%80%A6/
Saturday, March 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment