On a different blog that I have, I get alerts from Datingish.com and I found an article that some girl had written. It's a good view on how the standards of love are declining in view of a new sexual promiscuity. -CAC
"Sex is a Limitation..." Just Not in 2010
By Katrina
Junior year of high school I had the most amazing English teacher. It was a British literature class and we were talking about how Romanticism was evident in a literary piece. I forget the work because we read such a variety of plays, poetry, novels, etc, but he asked our class what made the piece romantic and the majority of the students stared dumbly as his wide eyes expanded even more, and his saliva bubbled excitedly at the edge of his mouth.
He said that the piece was romantic because it showed that “love had no bounds”. That the love between the two forces was so unbelievably powerful and passionate that not even words could come close to how pure their love and devotion for each other were. He said that in regards to their love, “sex is just a limitation”, because even that physical action could never convey to the other just how much their love was. He added that sex only prohibits us from surpassing an even deeper level of intimacy, that there is much more besides sex in love.
Of course as he said this, almost all the men who weren’t asleep on their desks were laughing. I remember staring at my teacher quiet intently and wishing that such pieces as the one that we just read were real. That somewhere out there, there are people whom love each other so much that their love holds no bounds, that sex is only a limitation to their relationship, that what they have is almost magical and invulnerable
Now, looking back at this memory, I can’t help but laugh.
I have yet to meet a couple that seems to have that vibrant of a love for each other, and I have met/seen some passionate couples. It just makes me realize that such novelties are not realistic; they don’t ever happen in everyday life. At the end of the day, that concept of romanticism only exists within the binding of a book, not in 2010. Yet there’s this stupid, pathetic and small part of me that likes to believe that somehow this is real, but if I don’t see it around me, how am I supposed to believe in it?
I know I know, I’m a pessimist and, I should have faith, right? But you know what I have to say to that? This: “Never believe in anything that you hear, and only believe in half of what you see” those are the wise words of my Uncle, he’s probably one of the men I respect the most besides my father and brother. If his words are true, as they have proven to me that they are, then I shouldn’t believe in such nonsense. But it’s hard not too, because that is the beauty and the danger of books. They bring you to such a high, they make you feel what the characters are feeling, and as you finish reading the last word on the last page, you realize something very important: you are sitting exactly where you first sat down. The only thing that has changed is the time, and no matter how authentic those emotions felt as you were flipping the pages---they’re not real in your life. No princes exist, no fairies visit you to make your dreams come true, and no love holds any bounds.
So why read this stuff? Why believe in the British mentality of romanticism? So that our expectations are raised and then when that kind of love doesn’t come our way, we are left disappointed? Why should we believe in things that don’t come true? Why do we set ourselves up just to be disappointed and heartbroken in the end?
As much as I love to read, and firmly believe that it makes me more scholarly…it also makes me feel like I’m the biggest fool because I am almost always sucked into believing in something that never holds validity outside of the books binding.
This post came from: http://www.datingish.com/724835696/quotsex-is-a-limitationquot-just-not-in-2010/
Monday, April 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment